2013 OBX Paddle Palooza Recap
Thank you to everyone who came out to make the 2013 OBX Paddle Palooza an amazing event again this year! After a chilly spring here on Hatteras, we couldn’t have asked for a more beautiful weekend of perfect sunsets, sunny days, and light, southerly breezes on race day. It was great to catch up with so many old friends from the past 2 years and to see new, SUP stoked faces this year. (text continues below photos. Photos by Don Bowers)
We kicked off on Friday evening with a relaxing sunset paddle overseen by Susan Fauber’s two German shepherds, who are some of the most enthusiastic paddlers. On Race Day, some old and new race rivalries ensured everyone pushed hard to the finish. We had two under 17 competitors, Noah Colino and McIntyre Barnhardt enter in our adult open class races and it was great to watch them paddling hard together outpacing many of the adult racers. We’d like to congratulate everyone for putting in their best efforts and special congratulations to this year’s race winners:
- Anne Gassett, winner of the Wind-NC 4mi. Women’s Elite (35.28)
- William Miller, winner of the Outer Beaches Realty 6mi. Men’s Elite (45.29)
- Carter Baum, winner of the Frisco Sandwich Co. kids 1mi. loop (15.12)
- Eliza Fisher, winner of the SUP Magazine 17 & under, Jr. 2mi. (28.00)
- Valerie Netsch, winner of the Koru Village Women’s Surf/SUP 2mi. (21.22)
- William Nash, winner of the Koru Village Men’s Surf/SUP 2mi. (20.06)
- McIntyre Barnhardt, winner of the Starboard SUP Women’s 12’6″ 4mi. (39.43)
- Robert Netsch, winner of the Starboard SUP Men’s 12’6″ 4mi. (34.07)
- Jacob (Mac) Barnhardt, winner of the Dakine Men’s 14′ 6mi. (47.44)
- William Pope, winner of the Frisco Woods Campgrounds 6mi. ult (46.58)
For the full race results, please see below.
Chillin’ post-race, with an afternoon of board demos from Starboard SUP’s Mark Colino, windsurfing lessons from instructor Tom Keen of Wind-NC, and fun and games for the kids courtesy of Spa Koru’s staff. One of the weekend’s most memorable highlights was Wind-NC’s evening raffle of a 9′ Tahoe Grom SUP won by William Pope. William then decided to auction off the board to raise an additional $350 for the Hatteras Island Rescue Squad!
We ended the weekend with a great turnout for Sunday’s invigorating sunrise SUP yoga session with OceanAir’s Amy Klauser!
Wind-NC extends special thanks to our sponsors Outer Beaches Realty, Dakine, Starboard, SUP Magazine, Spa Koru, Frisco Sandwich Company, OceanAir Sports, and Frisco Woods Campground for their beautiful sound access and race pavilion.
Here are the 2013 OBX Paddle Palooza Results:
Our most sincere apologies to the Ladies Fleet of 12’6″ and Surf SUP Racers for botching the awards ceremony results!
“Right Click” Images to enlarge…